Stick to Your New Year’s Fitness Resolution

 

In a 2011 Marist Poll, 67% of adults who made a New Year’s resolution kept their word for at least part of the year, and the remaining 33% didn’t even make it out of the gate. So if you’re really serious about losing weight or exercising more this year, how can you actually stick to your fitness resolution?

Make Realistic Resolutions

Start by making sustainable and achievable goals. Vowing to run 10 miles every day for a year is simply setting yourself up for failure. Make your fitness resolutions work with your schedule and if possible break them into mini-goals. If you’re goal is to lose 40 pounds, aim for around 3-4 lbs a month and you’ll be on track.

 

Be specific as you craft your fitness resolutions. “Getting to the gym more often” could mean anything. Try something like, “Running twice a week for at least 20 minutes and going to yoga twice a week.” That sort of black and white statement doesn’t leave room for interpretation. Either you completed your goal or you didn’t.

 

Write It Down & Publicize It

Putting your resolution in print gives it legitimacy and makes it more “real”. Jot your fitness resolution down on the inside cover of your planner, write it on the refrigerator white board, or get creative and make a resolution collage featuring your goal and motivational quotes or images. Bottom line, make sure your resolution goes somewhere it can’t be ignored.

 

After you’ve chosen a realistic fitness goal and written it down, tell someone. Seek out your spouse or close friend who will be supportive and encouraging. Maybe you’ll even find yourself and partner moving toward a healthier lifestyle together!

 

Keep a Record

Track your success! Set up a system to monitor your progress. This could be something as simple as a calorie calendar or a small note book you record meals and exercise in. Technology lovers should take advantage of the myriad of online programs designed to track nutrition and exercise. Many have coordinating applications for smartphones so recording your meals and activity is a breeze.

 

Some popular nutrition apps are MyFitnessPal and Daily Burn. Both programs help track diet and exercise and allow you to set daily caloric goals. If you just want to track exercise, there are plenty of applications geared towards running, biking, weight lifting and even yoga. RunKeeper and Edomondo Sports Tracker are perfect for recording bouts of cardio. The app GymGoal gives a number of different workout routines for gym goers and instructs exercisers on proper machine usage. Authentic Yoga includes instructional poses and videos for all yogis—from beginner to experts.

 

Find a tracking system that works for you and stick to it. It’s exciting to see your progress and it will make it easier to notice your improvements!

 

Reward Yourself

Sticking to your resolution will require incredible time, effort, and will power. Rewarding yourself for all your hard work will prevent burn out and help you see your resolution to the end. Now, this doesn’t mean you can finish off a roll of cookie dough after an especially tough work out (despite how wonderful that sounds). Treat yourself to new exercise clothing or a new pair of sport sunglasses after you make it to the six month mark. Lock the bathroom door and sit the kids in front of a movie while you take a warm bath after a tough kick boxing class. As the saying goes, “work hard, play hard.”

 

Stay positive, and remember no one is perfect. You can always jump back on the horse if you fall off!

About the Author: Maggie is a health nut and science nerd with a BS in Kinesiology and Health. She lives in Indianapolis, IN where she works as a content writer for a discount sunglasses store. Outside of work, Maggie enjoys running, cooking, trying new restaurants, and spending time with family and friends.

 

 

email

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>