Food Swings — Get Grouchy When Your Tummy Starts Growling?
I came across a term that I think all of us experience — HANGRY. You’re hungry, low on energy, and grouchy. If you don’t find something to stop that growl in your stomach, you may go off the deep end.
Fortunately, grabbing a snack can alleviate all that crankiness, but not any ol’ snack will do. In fact, recent research published in the American Journal of Psychiatry found that people who choose junk (like processed foods, chips, pizza, etc.) actually have a higher risk for depression and feeling low. Those people that stick to healthier snacks, are using a higher quality fuel to make the brain work better, and happier. And certain foods can target specific mood issues.
The article in Everydayhealth.com lists these seven bad-mood busting foods.
- Whole Grains — carbohydrates increase the brain chemical serotonin, which is a mood enhancer.
- Greens — food that is chockfull of the B vitamin and folate (leafy green vegetables, beans, citrus fruits) may help ward off the doldrums of depression.
- Protein —for instance, turkey which is high in tryptophan, an amino acid thought to have a positive effect on stress because it helps the brain produce feel-good chemicals. Tryptophan is important for increasing your brain’s levels of serotonin, norepinephrine, and dopamine.
- Tea — it has the ability to decrease the stress hormone cortisol
- Greek Yogurt — add some fruit to combat low blood sugar which can cause irritability and anxiety.
- Chocolate — of course chocolate makes the list. Specifically it helps with PMS, but it also helps to reduce stress hormones.
- Fish — omega-3 fatty acids can help things run smoothly by keeping your brain working as a well-oiled machin