6 Foods to Brighten Your Day
How do you boost your mood? Oreo cookies, cheesecake, Boston cream pie!! These six foods may not sound all sweet and yummy but use them creatively and you’ll be getting more bang out of your calorie count and a less stressed out mind. Source “The All-Pro Diet” author Tony Gonzalez & Mitzi Dulan, RD.
- Peppers are packed with vitamin C, which can inhibit the production of the stress hormone cortisol. Yellow peppers have the highest levels (341mg), Red peppers have (209mg), and Green have (132mg).
- Walnuts have been linked to heart health and weight control, but just a handful a day! New research from the University of Barcelona finds that nuts, along with almonds and hazelnuts, can boost levels of serotonin, a hormone that increases feelings of well-being.
- Chickpeas have the vitamin B called folate and in only half of a cup you get (141mg) of folate. This vitamin is n ecessary for the production of dopamine, a neuro-transmitter associated with pleasure.
- Sardines are an omega-3 loaded fish. Research from Ohio State University found that people who regularly consumed foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids are 20% less anxious feeling than those who do not consume them.
- Avocados are a must if you are stressed. Stress can deplete stores of B vitamins in our bodies. These B vitamins are essential for the creation of serotonin. Avocados are an excellent source of B vitamins and potassium, which helps to lower blood pressure.
- Sunflower seeds an excellent source of magnesium and a one ounce serving will give you (91mg)…you need (320mg) a day. A deficiency of magnesium can slow dopamine production, leaving you feeling stressed and anxious.