25 Quick Tips to Smart Dieting
It’s the little things that can make all the difference when dieting, and the little things can be easy to change without feeling taste deprived.
Here are 25 quick tips to dieting that will help you succeed while teaching you how to diet smarter not harder. By making small tweaks to your food choices you don’t have to sacrifice flavor, but you can cut a calories, fats, and sugar to help slim down your waistline and achieve your perfect weight. Increase your vegetables and whole grains, but decrease the fat, salt and sugar. If you’re really serious about changing your family’s diet, print this page and post it on your refrigerator as a daily reminder for everyone.
1. Learn to properly steam vegetables.
2. Decrease the meat and increase the vegetables called for in stews and casseroles.
3. Add grated carrots, zucchini or cabbage to chili and meatloaf.
4. Offer washed and trimmed carrot and celery sticks for snacking.
5. Add finely grated carrots, pumpkin, or zucchini to baked breads and cakes.
INCREASING WHOLE GRAINS
6. Substitute whole-wheat flour for bleached white flour when you bake.
7. Top casseroles with wheat germ or whole-wheat bread crumbs.
8. Serve bran-based cereals, or those made from shredded wheat.
9. Serve imaginative whole-grain side dishes (bulgur, kasha, etc.) instead of egg noodles.
10. Offer crackers and corn chips containing whole grains.
11. Cook with less fat by using non-stick skillets.
12. Blot all fried meats on paper towels.
13. Add a spoon of water or broth as needed instead of more fat when sautéing onions and vegetables.
14. Substitute low-fat yogurt for mayonnaise.
15. Substitute ground turkey for ground beef.
16. Substitute lemon juice or herbs for salt when cooking pasta or grains.
17. Avoid cooking with soy or Worcestershire sauce.
18. Substitute garlic or onion powder for garlic or onion salt.
19. Avoid using products that contain monosodium glutamate.
20. Use unsalted or low-salt vegetable broths and products.
21. Choose canned fruits packed in water instead of heavy syrup.
22. Use only fresh-frozen fruit without added sugar if fresh is unavailable.
23. Cut the sugar called for in most recipes by one-third to one-half.
24. Sweeten waffles and quick breads with cinnamon and vanilla or almond extracts.
25. Add pureed banana to baked goods and reduce the sugar or applesauce to reduce the fat (oil/butter)